Marketing objectives of overseas offices
The Ministry of Tourism, Government of India, through its 14 offices overseas endeavors to position India in the tourism generating markets as a preferred tourism destination, to promote various Indian tourism products vis-à-vis competition faced from various destinations and to increase India’s share of the global tourism market.
The above objectives are met through an integrated marketing and promotional strategy and a synergised campaign in association with the Travel Trade, State Governments and Indian Missions. The specific elements of promotiona efforts undertaken overseas include Advertisin in the Print & Electronic Media, Participation in Fairs & Exhibitions, Organising Seminars, Workshops, Road Shows & India Evenings, Printing of Brochures and Collaterals, Brochure Support/Joint Advertising with Travel Agents / Tour Operators, Inviting the Media and Travel Trade to visit the country under the Hospitality Programme etc.
Incredible India International Campaigns
Ministry of Tourism commenced its International TV Campaign (2009-10 – Extended to 2010-11) for Europe and Americas region, which finished in the first half of the 2010-11.
In December, 2010, the Ministry launched its International TV Campaign 2010-11 - Europe. Leading TV channels of pan-regional reach are part of the Media Plan of the Ministry.
- PATA Grand Award 2010 : Heritage Category - Rural Tourism Project - A Case Study of Hodka Village.
- PATA Gold Award 2010 : Marketing - Primary Government Destination - Eco Tourism Marketing Campaign.
- PATA Gold Award 2010 : Marketing Media - Travel Advertisement Print Media -Mahatma Gandhi Creative.
- India has been voted as the 7th best destination in the world in the Conde Nast Readers’ Travel Awards 2010.
- World Travel Award 2010 for “World’s Leading Destination Marketing Campaign 2010”.
- Asian Guild Award 2010 recognizing the “contribution made by the Incredible India campaign in creating awareness about India among Britishers and British Asians living in UK”.
- Global Traveler Award 2010 : India has been voted as the “Best International Tourism Destination” by readers of the Global Traveler Magazine, USA.
Participation in Travel Fairs and Exhibitions
Indiatourism offices overseas have participated in the major international Travel Fairs and Exhibitions in important tourist generating markets the world over as well as in emerging and potential markets to showcase and promote the tourism products of the country. These include Arabian Travel Market (ATM) in Dubai, PATA Travel Mart in Macau, World Expo 2010 in Shanghai, China International Travel Mart in Shanghai, ITB – Asia in Singapore, World Travel Market (WTM) in London, IMEX in Frankfurt, FITUR in Madrid and ITB in Berlin.
Indiatourism, Beijing was awarded the “Best Tourism Promotion Award” at the World Travel Fair in Shanghai. Indiatourism, Tokyo was awarded the “Best Booth Operation Award” at the Korea World Travel Fair and the “Best Tourism Promotion Award” at the Busan International Tourism Fair in South Korea.
Some Major Promotional Activities Undertaken for Overseas
The Ministry of Tourism, Govt. of India undertook a series of promotional initiatives to aggressively promote tourism to India.
As part of the promotional initiatives undertaken, Road Shows were organized in important tourist generating markets overseas with participation of different segments of the travel industry.
- Road Shows, in collaboration with the Indian Association of Tour Operators were organized in CIS Countries, during the months of September-October 2010. Road Shows in collaboration with the PATA India Chapter were organised in May 2010 in USA and Canada. The Road Shows comprised presentations on India followed by one-toone business meetings between the trade delegation from India and the travel trade in the respective countries. The delegation for the Road Shows was led by the Secretary (Tourism).
- Indiatourism Toronto undertook massive advertising and outdoor publicity during the Vancouver Winter Games 2010 in Vancouver and also Paralympics Games 2010 from February to March 2010.
- India Tourism Paris participated and supported the 3rd France-India Business Cup Golf Tournament held at St. Tropez, France during 13th – 17th October 2010. A high level delegation led by Hon’ble Minister Tourism, Joint Secretary (T), Regional Director, India Tourism Frankfurt attended the event. Hon’ble Minister of Tourism inaugurated the France-India Business Cup Golf Tournament on 14th of October and there was a meeting held with various Stakeholders for promotion of Golf Tourism.
- Indiatourism, Dubai organized the Golf Tournament at Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates. Indiatourism Johannesburg organised “Know India” seminar to the group of 12 people travelling to India and for the group of 6 ladies travelling to south India giving information about shopping, hotels, Ayurveda and spas and safe travelling for women.
International Travel Fairs & Exhibitions (2015-2016)